Backcountry Skiing in Scotland can be maddening, frustrating and disappointing but more often it can also be fantastic and awe inspiring! Strike it right with the weather and with the snow conditions and you can have some of your best skiing days on the planet.
Introduction to Back Country
This season we are offering 2 day introduction to backcountry courses in Scotland and journeying days
- The 2 days will include:
- Personal equipment, how ski touring equipment works.
- Understanding weather and avalanche forecasts
- Skinning up-hill, kick turns & cramponing
- Off-piste ski coaching
- Route planning
- Introduction to rope work
- Avalanche transceiver training
- Techniques for mountain journeying
- The course will include at least one ski tour
- Costs of 2 days Instruction and leading £140
- The courses will be based at the resort with the best conditions and we will make use of the uplift to get started.
- What’s not included: Food, Travel, Accommodation, lift pass, kit hire.
Journeying days are days where you will be led over some of the classic ski tours in Scotland. No need to worry about route planning or navigation, let us take care of it for you. Days will be arranged depending on weather and snow conditions.
Zero to Hero
An intense 3 day ski course followed by a days basic ski touring. This course is designed with existing Hillgoers in mind, walkers, climbers and hill runners who are looking for an efficient and quick way to get around the hills in winter. Ski touring is a natural extension of other hill going disciplines. The course will teach participants the basics of Alpine skiing and introduce the tools and techniques of Ski touring to them. The course can take place on snow or on a dry slope but the days touring will be on snow. At the end of the 4 days the participants should be able to perform linked turns down a gentle slope and be able to skin up to make an ascent. If you have no background in skiing but would love to learn to tour, this could be the course for you. Costs of the course will depend on the locations used.
Please use the contact form for more details, costs and dates.